Employment Minister Jason Kenney has confirmed the federal government has reached a deal in principle will all provinces except Quebec on the Canada Job Grant, as CBC News reported yesterday.
"I am pleased to announce that we have arrived at an agreement in principle with 12 provincial governments and territories on their delivery of the Canada Job Grant," Kenney said during a speech to an audience gathered for the Manning Networking Conference in Ottawa on Friday.
The Canada Job Grant, a centrepiece proposal made by the federal government during last year's budget, was reached with all provinces except Quebec after months of back-and-forth negotiations.
"We're going to continue working with provinces and territories on the details in the days to come," Kenney said.
"I believe this is good news for unemployed Canadians, it's good news for taxpayers who will get better bang for their buck, it's good news for the economy because we'll increase the private sector investment in skills development."
The government of Nova Scotia is still pushing for changes and in an email to CBC News on Friday, a spokesperson for the department of labour and advanced education ChrissyMatheson said "Nova Scotia is still very much in negotiations with the federal government."
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall, who is also in Ottawa for the Manning Conference, told reporters there is a deal in principle and that each province and territory, except Quebec, will now move to implement it bilaterally.
More to come