03/14/2014 02:50 EDT | Updated 05/14/2014 05:59 EDT

Documents allege man accused in stabbings got knives at West Edmonton Mall

EDMONTON - Police believe a man accused of deadly stabbings at a grocery warehouse first stopped at West Edmonton Mall and bought two large knives before heading to work.

Court documents used to obtain search warrants allege Jayme Pasieka had been drinking alcohol in his apartment on Feb. 28. They say he strapped on a military-style vest, armed himself with two small knives and went to the mall for more.

The documents say he purchased two bigger military knives at the Supply Sergeant surplus store, then drove to the Loblaws warehouse for his afternoon shift.

"It is possible that he was formulating thoughts about harming others here as he left home," say the documents. "Pasieka appeared goal-oriented and purposeful.

"Shortly after arriving at work, he began stabbing his co-workers."

None of the evidence in the documents has been proven in court.

Two men were killed and four others wounded in the bloody attack. At the time, police said an employee at the warehouse had walked through the sprawling building, slashing and stabbing the workers as he went with a knife in each hand.

The court documents further detail the victims' injuries: a total of at least two dozen stab and slash wounds. One man had a bite mark on his knee.

It's also alleged the attacker, as he was leaving the warehouse, stabbed one man in the face as he was calling 911.

Amid the chaos, police quickly identified Pasieka as a suspect and distributed his photo. He was arrested a few hours later sitting in his SUV on the opposite end of the city.

Last week, police said they were still investigating a possible motive, but it appeared the accused randomly chose his victims.

Pasieka, 30, remains in custody facing first-degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.

Other court records indicate he has a history of bizarre behaviour. He was convicted in 2010 of assault with a weapon and uttering threats and sentenced to 15 months probation.

He admitted to egging a neighbour's vehicle and setting a heart-shaped fire on their street. He told police he did what he did in the name of the Queen and that he one day wanted to join either the police or the military.

Media reports say a psychologist had determined that Pasieka expressed paranoid ideas and was once diagnosed with depression but didn't want to take his medication. An aunt also believed he had schizophrenia because he had conversations with people who weren't there and told her he heard voices.