04/30/2014 09:55 EDT | Updated 06/30/2014 05:59 EDT

Boy involved in garage door accident to make 'full recovery'

The nine-year-old boy who was severely injured after his clothing became entangled in his home's operating garage door is expected to make a full recovery, Halton Regional Police said Wednesday.

“We are very pleased to share that Jack is off life support and is expected to make a full recovery,” said Sgt. Chantal Corner in a news release.

Jack, from Oakville, Ont., had entered the door’s access code and was entering the garage from outside when his hooded sweatshirt became entangled in the hardware of the rising door.

Corner said the Jack had tried to duck under the door before it was fully raised when his clothing became caught.

Paramedics were called to the home near Bronte Road and Dundas Street West at around 7:15 p.m. Monday evening by a passersby who tried to help the boy.

He was rushed to a local hospital, then transferred to Sick Kids hospital in Toronto in critical condition.

It's not known when he'll be released from hospital.