ALBERTA
05/23/2014 11:55 EDT | Updated 05/23/2014 11:59 EDT

Calgary Dogs Poisoned By Antifreeze

Ashley Tammi

A Calgary family is grieving after two of their pet dogs were poisoned by eating sausage soaked in antifreeze.

Max, a nine-year-old Sheltie, and Phoebe, an eight-year-old Golden Doodle, were both put down earlier this week. The family's third dog, a five-year-old Beagle named Bailey, is recovering in care.

According to veterinarians, all three dogs had eaten poisonous sausage that was thrown over a fence into owner Ashley Tammi's Patterson backyard Tuesday.

The dogs were let out around 7:30 p.m. to relieve themselves before bed, Tammi told Global News, but when they came back in the house 15 minutes later the Sheltie began to vomit.

“He was starting to throw up a lot and when he was trying to walk he couldn’t keep his feet underneath him, he kept falling over,” she told the Calgary Sun.

Her mother and sister rushed Max to an animal clinic, where the vet told them the dog had been poisoned.

The other two dogs were collected and brought to the vet.

The next day, Max was put down, followed by Phoebe on Thursday.

“I feel like I’ve been hit by a train,” Tammi told the Calgary Herald.

“I just want people to know this is happening. I’d hate for another family to go through this,” she said, adding she has no idea who would do such a thing and that no one has complained about her animals before.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Also on HuffPost

Photo gallery Animal poisons from A-Z See Gallery