Jasper John Stam, 25, remains under an order to have no contact with Justin Bourque, the suspect in the Moncton shootings that left three Mounties dead and wounded two others a week ago.
No explanation for the no-contact order was provided in Moncton provincial court on Wednesday during Stam's brief appearance.
Police have said the order is not connected to the ongoing investigation into the June 4 shootings.
But Stam and Bourque appear to have been Facebook friends, and Stam appeared to show support for Bourque by sharing a link wishing him "best of luck" last Friday.
Stam's defence lawyer, Jean Cormier, told reporters outside the courtroom Wednesday he did not know why his client had been ordered to have no contact with Bourque.
"The impression I have is that the social context in which we are now dealing with respect to this charge is a significant factor on that," he said.
"That was done in the first appearance and the first appearance was on Monday."
Stam is charged with uttering threats to cause death to police officers. The threats were allegedly made between May 10 and 18.
He has been in custody since Monday.
The five-day assessment will determine if a further assessment is required.
Asked if he agreed with a mental-health review, Stam said, "I consent, but I kind of object."
He eventually consented and is scheduled to return to court on Monday for a bail hearing.
Bourque, 24, was arrested early Friday and charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. He is scheduled to return to court on July 3.
The shootings resulted in the deaths of:- Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan.
- Const. Douglas James Larche.
- Const. Dave Joseph Ross.