A luxury tent resort on Vancouver Island has cracked a top 10 list of the world's most expensive hotels.
The Clayoquot Wilderness Resort near Tofino charges an average nightly rate of US$3,681 (C$3,923) during the high-demand summer, making it the eighth priciest hotel in the world, and the costliest in North America, according to a survey by TravelMag.com.
And there's a three-night minimum stay.
The resort takes glamping (that's glamourous camping) to a grand scale. Guests stay in elegant safari-style tents decorated with antiques, king-size beds, remote-controlled propane wood stoves, and ensuite bathrooms. Gourmet meals feature locally caught wild salmon and scallops, and produce from the on-site organic garden.
The secluded hotel can be reached only via a 45-minute private seaplane transfer from Vancouver, or a 30-minute boat ride from Tofino.
Story continues after slideshow:
Located within the 350,000-hectare Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve (a UNESCO site), you can catch salmon and halibut, ride horses into the old-grown rainforest, kayak in the Bedwell River and hike.
The award-winning hotel takes its location and environmental responsibility seriously, with gravity-fed turbines, recycling and waste composting systems, and "non-intrusive and conservancy-driven" marine and land adventures. It's also funded a salmon stream restoration program and wildlife studies in the area.
B.C.'s Queen Charlotte Lodge, a luxury salmon fishing destination, ranked at number 20 on the world list.
The world's most expensive hotel is the North Island Lodge, a private island resort in the Seychelles which charges an average nightly rate of US$6,559.
The travel site looked at the average rate for a couple between July 1 to August 31, 2014.
Top 10 most expensive hotels in the world
- North Island Lodge (Mahe, Seychelles)6,995
- Fregate Island (Seychelles)5,246
- Laucala Resort (Taveuni, Fiji)5,040
- Khwai River Lodge (Okavango Delta, Botswana)3,800
- Savute Elephant Camp (Chobe, Botswana)3,800
- Eagle Island Camp (Okavango Delta, Botswana)3,800
- Singita Sasakwa Lodge (Serengeti, Tanzania)3,700
- Clayoquot Wilderness Resort (Vancouver Island, Canada)3,681
- Le Dune, Forte Village Resort (Sardinia, Italy)3,114
- Mnemba Island Lodge (Zanzibar, Tanzania)3,100