NEWS
07/28/2014 07:17 EDT | Updated 09/27/2014 05:59 EDT

Longueuil fire injures 2 after cigarette ignites armchair

A couch fire started by a cigarette in a St-Hubert home left a man with burns to 20 per cent of his body and a woman with burns to 10 per cent of her body.

Firefighters were called to the home on Place Mauriat around 1 a.m. ET. They found a woman on the front lawn.

The man had to be rescued from the home.

Firefighters dragged the smouldering couch and the charred remains of an armchair onto the lawn of the home, along with a dog crate.

Neither the dog nor a cat in the home were hurt.

Police are not investigating any further.