As if they don't have enough to deal with already, several victims of a devastating Edmonton condo fire say there have been thefts from their vacated units.
Seven thefts had been reported at the South Hampton condo by Sunday afternoon, reports The Edmonton Sun — mostly small, concealable items, like jewellery, iPods and watches.
The residents were allowed to enter their vacated suites late last week to grab what possessions they could, and that's when they noticed their stuff had gone missing.
Hala Al-Musawi, who has been living in the condo for over a year, said she and her husband returned to their unit to find her jewellery box open and empty.
“I have gifts that have been in the family for a long time. I have custom-made jewellery. I have designer jewellery from my mom, my wedding ring, my wedding gifts," she explained to Global News, adding that the box contained over 25 years worth of gifts.
“When so many people are evacuating a building like that, anybody can go in without being noticed,” EPS Acting Det. Michael Keef told Metro Edmonton.
“There is a lot of chaos going on.”
Dennis Begoray, a member of the condo board, said in an interview with Global News he would push to bring more security on site.
“We’re told that those resources will be on site as soon as possible, including a guard dog, just to ensure that everyone’s property is safe guarded. It’s completely unacceptable, what’s been going on.
About 400 people were forced from their homes on July 21, when an overnight fire tore through the complex.
The blaze began after a cigarette was improperly butted out in a planter.
Also on HuffPost