08/05/2014 01:08 EDT | Updated 10/05/2014 05:59 EDT

Health officials in Saskatchewan say second adult is dead from hantavirus

REGINA - Health officials in Saskatchewan say an adult in the northern part of the province is dead after contracting hantavirus.

It is the second death this year from the infection, which is transmitted by breathing in airborne particles from the droppings, urine and saliva of infected deer mice.

An adult from southern Saskatchewan was reported dead in June after contracting hantavirus.

Denise Werker, deputy chief medical health officer, says people should be aware of mouse droppings and nesting materials when cleaning buildings.

Symptoms of hantavirus include fever, muscle aches, cough, headaches, nausea and vomiting followed by shortness of breath and respiratory failure.

There have been 30 cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome reported in Saskatchewan since 1994, 10 of which resulted in death.