ALBERTA
08/22/2014 11:11 EDT | Updated 10/22/2014 05:59 EDT

Alberta Catholic Priest Accused Of Sex Assault Denied Travel Request

PEACE RIVER, Alta. - A Catholic priest in northwestern Alberta who is accused of sexually assaulting a minor has been told he cannot travel outside Canada to attend a funeral because he is considered a flight risk.

The order was issued following a preliminary hearing Thursday in Peace River for Abraham Azhakathu, who is facing charges of sexual assault and sexual interference.

The 59-year-old man's brother died in India earlier this year, but a request by the accused to participate in a memorial service was rejected by both the Crown prosecutor and provincial court Judge C. K. Thietke.

The priest, who remains free under strict conditions, will return to court Sept. 5 in Peace River to set a trial date.

RCMP have said the alleged assaults occurred in 2013 and were reported to police by the minor.

Azhakathu was practising in the Manning area at the time. (CKYL)

Also on HuffPost

Photo galleryPriests And Sexual Abuse See Gallery