Established in 2008, the program's goal is to assist Canadians in participating in the game of hockey.
Through the Hockey Night in Canada Help Fund, eligible groups across Canada have been provided financial assistance in order to:- Provide Canadians facing financial and geographical barriers an opportunity to participate in hockey.
- Make the sport available to the most number of Canadians.
- Utilize the sport as an instrument of national unity.
Here are the organizations that received assistance this year, along with the amount:- Ottawa Power Wheelchair Hockey League (Kanata, Ont.): $8,000.
- Courage Canada Hockey for the Blind (Vancouver): $8,000.
- Para NB — Sport & Recreation (Fredericton): $5,000.
- Sledge Hockey of Eastern Ontario (Ottawa): $5,000.
- Gleichen Gunners Pond Hockey (Strathmore, Alta.): $8,000.
- Calgary Sledge Hockey Association (Calgary): $5,000.
- Drop the Puck — Hockey for Autism (Newmarket, Ont.): $5,000.
- Hockey Access (Gatineau, Que.): $2,500.
- Mississauga Crusaders Special Hockey Club (Mississauga, Ont.): $8,000.