09/17/2014 04:00 EDT | Updated 06/16/2017 00:54 EDT

Rob Ford health update coming 1 week after tumour discovery

The medical status of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford should become clearer Wednesday, when doctors are expected to update the public for the first time in nearly a week.

Ford has been in hospital since last Wednesday, after doctors discovered a tumour in his abdomen.

He was initially admitted to Humber River Hospital, but was transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital last Thursday.

For days, Ford's family members have been coming to and from the hospital, but they have said little to the public about his condition.

"Our family's strong, Rob's strong and with all the support of the people, that's what keeps us going," his brother Doug Ford said Wednesday.

Doctors previously disclosed that Rob Ford has a "fair size" tumour that is located in his mid-to-lower abdomen. He is known to have undergone CT scans and a biopsy, though the Toronto Sun's Joe Warmington has reported that the mayor has since had another biopsy on his lungs.

After the abdominal tumour was found, Ford dropped out of the mayoral race at the last minute — and Coun. Doug Ford replaced him on the ballot.

Ford had tumour removed in 2009

Rob Ford turned 45 in May. He has been to hospital at least twice already this year — once for a reported toe injury, once when he went into rehab.

His trip to rehab came nearly a year after the start of a drug-related scandal involving crack cocaine that has made Ford a world-famous politician.

Previously, Ford was hospitalized in 2009 for a tumour on his appendix. He had abdominal surgery to remove the tumour.

Last year, reports emerged that Ford had been recorded smoking crack and that someone was trying to sell that recording. The mayor denied both using the drug and the existence of the tape.

Last October, police revealed they had obtained a video file that was consistent with what the media had reported. Within a week, Ford admitted to having smoked crack, which he then said had likely occurred during one of his "drunken stupors."

Ford did not leave office, despite repeated calls to do so. Council stripped him of some of his powers, but he carried on. He vowed to stop drinking.

The drug scandal made headlines around the world, along with various recordings that popped up showing Ford acting bizarrely, including one in which he was speaking in a Jamaican patois.

When photos emerged this spring of the mayor holding a crack pipe, Ford took a leave of absence and went to rehab. He came back to work at the end of June and resumed his campaign for re-election.

Ford was elected as mayor in 2010 after spending the previous decade serving as a city councillor in Etobicoke, the Toronto suburb where he lives. He is married and the father of two young children.