09/25/2014 04:41 EDT | Updated 09/26/2014 09:59 EDT

Man Infested With Tapeworms After Eating Contaminated Sushi: Report

There are stories about getting an upset stomach after eating contaminated food, but this particular story is a little hard to swallow.

Reports claim a Chinese man's entire body was overtaken by parasites after eating sushi contaminated with tapeworm eggs. Doctors said the man, who several media outlets have identified as, Tain Liao, went to Guangzhou No.8 People’s Hospital complaining about stomach pains and itchy skin after eating sashimi (raw fish). Doctors claim they found several tapeworms crawling all over the patient's body following x-rays.

I’ve eaten shashimi nearly every day for years but never thought it could do this to me," BuzzFeed News quotes Liao.

According to the Daily Mail, research has shown tapeworm infections can happen after ingesting larvae that can be found in freshwater fish like salmon. And although this case could make you think twice about buying sushi, the chances of finding a tapeworm-egg invested piece of fish is pretty rare in North America.

What happened to the patient? Watch the video above to find out.

Also on HuffPost

Photo gallery Sushi 101 See Gallery