10/07/2014 01:43 EDT | Updated 12/07/2014 05:59 EST

Saskatchewan woman who lost both legs after violent attack needs home

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. - A Saskatchewan woman who lost both legs after a violent attack last spring has told the head of a women's shelter that she needs a place to live.

Marlene Bird was homeless when she was discovered burned and badly injured in a downtown Prince Albert parking lot on June 1.

She suffered third-degree burns to her body and both of her legs had to be amputated.

Bird, who is 47, was recently released from Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon where she was recovering.

Donna Brooks, CEO of Prince Albert's YWCA, says she's spoken with Bird, who says she really needs a permanent home.

Brooks says the YWCA is hoping to make that happen.

"We are advocating for her to get the best care possible," Brooks said. She isn't able to offer details because Bird is now a client of the YWCA.

The organization is continuing to raise funds to help with Bird's needs and has raised more than $30,000.

"There's always going to be care needs. No matter where she lives, there's going to be some additional expenses," Brooks said.

Brooks wrote in a Facebook post last week that Bird arrived in Prince Albert in a taxi with nothing but her belongings, a scooter and a wheelchair. The YWCA bought medical supplies and a commode for her.

The Facebook post says Bird ended up back in hospital last Thursday because "her addiction took hold." A care home experienced in dealing with disabilities and addictions has since agreed to take her in.

Some of the funds the YWCA raised will help pay for the monthly cost, Brooks said in the post.

Green party Leader Victor Lau says it's Premier Brad Wall's responsibility to make sure the social services minister investigates what happened to Bird after she was released from the hospital.

Bird was in the courtroom last week when the man accused of attacking her made an appearance. She declined to speak to media and did not want to be photographed.

But she has successfully fought to have a publication ban on her name lifted.

Leslie Black is charged with aggravated sexual assault and attempted murder. He is due back in court Oct. 31.