10/20/2014 02:08 EDT | Updated 12/20/2014 05:59 EST

Hit-And-Run Suspect Shot By Police In Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu

A man in his 30s was shot by police in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., earlier this afternoon after he hit two members of the Canadian Forces with his car and led police on a dramatic high-speed chase.

The soldiers were hit in a parking lot of a commercial plaza at around 11:30 a.m. ET. Both were injured, one critically.

The incident was raised in the House of Commons this afternoon by Conservative MP Randy Hoback, who questioned Prime Minister Stephen Harper about "unconfirmed reports of a possible terror attack" targeting members of the Canadian Forces.

Harper, reading from a piece of paper, would only say he was "aware of these reports" and that they are troubling.

The government did not specify the source of the reports mentioned by Hoback.

Police have not named the soldiers but confirmed at an afternoon news conference that they were members of the armed forces.

When asked about the reports mentioned in Parliament, Lieut. Guy Lapointe of the Sûreté du Québec said police are looking into whether the victims were targeted.

"All I can say is that the theory that this is a deliberate act is part of what we’ll be looking at," he said. "But it’s really too early to speculate at this point."

Shot by police

Lapointe said officers from the Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu police spotted the suspect not long after the soldiers were hit and followed the driver for four kilometres.

The chase ended when the suspect lost control of his car, flipping it into a ditch.

Police say the man got out of the vehicle and several shots were fired by officers.

Nathalie Vanasse was driving by with her husband when she saw the vehicle in the ditch.

“I was scared. I started crying. I wanted to get out of my car to go help, before the shots were fired... I heard and saw shots being fired — seven shots," she said.

"I saw a police officer jump to the side to protect himself. That’s when I saw the suspect fall to the ground."

The suspect suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to hospital.

Quebec provincial police are investigating.