Officials say the product may allow the growth of clostridium botulinum, which can cause a rare but serious paralytic illness called botulism.
The illness can be fatal.
According to Health Canada, botulism is rare in Canada but can be contracted by consuming improperly prepared low-acid, home-canned foods.
The bacteria is heat-resistant and home canning provides ideal conditions for the bacteria to grow unless it has been properly canned or heat processed.
Consumers who bought the product in Alberta and Ontario are advised to throw it out or return it to the store.
Symptoms of botulism include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, respiratory failure, paralysis and in some cases death.
There have been no reported illnesses from the product and Canadian health officials say the recall was triggered by Williams-Sonoma.