Former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has been charged in a sexual assault investigation, Toronto police say.
Ghomeshi, 47, faces five charges under the Criminal Code:
- Four counts of sexual assault.
- One charge of "overcome resistance — choking."
Ghomeshi surrendered to police on Wednesday morning. He is scheduled to appear in court in the afternoon.
Toronto police began investigating Ghomeshi on Oct. 31 after three women filed complaints alleging he was physically violent without their consent.
He previously issued a statement denying the allegations, and saying all acts involving rough sex were consensual.
In his most recent public statement, he said he intended to meet the allegations directly and that he didn't intend to discuss the matter with the media.
News of the charges against Ghomeshi come a day after it was revealed a $55-million lawsuit he launched against the CBC last month had been dropped.
He had filed the lawsuit after he was fired as host of the radio arts, culture and entertainment program Q in late October. But Ghomeshi is fighting the dismissal through the CBC union, having filed a grievance through the Canadian Media Guild.
CBC has said it decided to terminate his employment after seeing "graphic evidence" that he had physically injured a woman.
Ghomeshi admitted in a lengthy Facebook post, published on the day he was fired that he engaged in "rough sex," but insisted his encounters with women were consensual.
Since his dismissal, nine women have come forward with allegations, some dating back a decade, that Ghomeshi sexually or physically assaulted them.
CBC has hired employment lawyer Janice Rubin, who is conducting an internal investigation into the allegations against Ghomeshi.