12/02/2014 01:59 EST | Updated 02/01/2015 05:59 EST

Gordie Howe Stroke Scare A False Alarm, According To Son

Hockey legend Gordie Howe speaks to the media Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2000, before the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame's 27th Annual Enshrinement Dinner at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. Howe, his wife, Colleen, and his two sons, Mark and Marty, were named the recipients of the Hockey Hall of Fame's Wayne Gretzky Award, given to people who have made significant contributions to the growth of American hockey. The Howe family is recognized as the first family of hockey and Gordie Howe is recognized as the greatest player of his time with a career spanning five decades. (AP Photo/Dawn Villella)

LUBBOCK, Texas - Hockey Hall of Famer Gordie Howe has suffered his third stroke since late October and was hospitalized early this week, his daughter said Tuesday.

UPDATE: An MRI test has revealed Howe did not suffer a new stroke, reported CBC News. According to the hockey legend's son, Howe's latest health scare is likely due to "dehydration with superimposed fatigue."

Cathy Purnell said her father suffered a "significant stroke" on Monday. Howe was stable and "a little bit alert" Tuesday morning, and doctors at a Lubbock hospital where he was taken were scheduled to do additional tests, she said.

"He's a fighter," Purnell said. "The man is tough. He has this will to keep going, all things considered."

The man known as "Mr. Hockey" set NHL marks with 801 goals and 1,850 points, mostly with the Detroit Red Wings, records later broken by Wayne Gretzky.

Purnell said therapists who have been tending to Howe arrived at her house Monday morning and discovered him nonresponsive in bed. Howe remained that way until evening, when Purnell said he recognized family members once he became alert.

Howe suffered what his children called a serious stroke in late October and another in early November. He has been staying at his daughter's home in Lubbock.

She said the family wants to get the 86-year-old Howe back to her house as soon as possible.

"It scares the daylight out of me," Purnell said, adding that she told him Monday night to "stop pulling these games on me. He gave me a smile. His sense of humour is intact."