A ruptured natural gas pipeline has been identified as a "contributing factor" to an explosion that destroyed a house and damaged several other buildings in Regina Beach, west of Regina, Wednesday.
Judy Hebert, who lives in the community on the shores of Last Mountain Lake, said the explosion happened before her eyes as she was washing dishes, around 2:30 p.m. CST. The force of the blast blew her window out.
"There's a house just down the street from me, half of it is gone," she told CBC News. "Half the post office is gone. There's shrapnel. Butler's [Fish and Chips] windows are blown right out."
The owners of the cottage that was levelled, Mark and Kathy Oldershaw, said no one was inside the building on the 200 block of First Street at the time.
RCMP said several homes on the block were affected by the explosion.
The mayor of Regina Beach, Cameron Hart, told CBC News that there were no reports of injuries.
Emergency crews were dispatched immediately.
Hebert said people in the area also reacted quickly to what happened.
"The townspeople just went around to all the houses and made sure they got out safely and took them out to the Home Hardware, so everybody's good," she said.
In a news release, SaskEnergy, the provincial Crown corporation that supplies natural gas for heating systems, said crews have identified an underground pipeline leak that is "believed to be a contributing factor" in the explosion.
The company said crews were working to repair the leak and ensure the distribution system was safe.