Sorry, Dr. Dre, you’re not a billionaire.
In fact, no recording artists are billionaires, according to research firm Wealth-X’s list of the world’s richest musicians.
The iconic rapper and entrepreneur sold his headphone business, Beats Electronics, to Apple earlier this and declared himself hip-hop’s first billionaire.
But Wealth-X estimates Dre’s net worth at $650 million U.S., good enough to make him the world’s third-richest recording artist.
The top spot belongs to Madonna, with a net worth of $800 million.
And one Canadian made it onto the list: Celine Dion, whose $630-million fortune was good enough to rank her the fifth richest musician in the world. She's the only non-American or non-British person on the list.
Keep in mind these numbers are estimates. Musicians are private citizens and don’t release quarterly earnings reports, and these sorts of rankings are educated guesses.
So each of these lists tells a somewhat different story. Forbes, for example, estimates Dr. Dre’s net worth to be around $800 million, $150 million more than Wealth-X is willing to give him credit for.
With all that in mind, here are the world’s 10 richest recording artists. All figures in U.S. dollars.
- 10: Beyonce - $440 millionJordan Strauss/Invision/AP
- 9: Elton John - $450 millionGetty
- 8: Jay-Z - $510 millionNRK P3 via Flickr
- 7: Mariah Carey - $520 millionAP
- 6: Bono - $590 millionGetty
- 5: Celine Dion - $630 millionGetty
- 4: Sean 'Diddy' Combs - $640 millionGetty
- 3: Dr. Dre - $650 millionAP
- 2: Paul McCartney - $660 millionFrederic J. Brown via Getty
- 1: Madonna - $800 millionDavid Rogowski, AOL
Also on HuffPost: