The allegation, unproven in court, comes from an OPP Information to Obtain document release by the Ontario Superior Court on Thursday. The document was used to get a search warrant, which it executed at a government office in late November.
The data Faist is said to have deleted relate to the cancellation of two gas plants in the Toronto-area during the midst of an election campaign. Police suspect the data were internal email conversations regarding the cancellation of the gas plants.
David Livingston, McGuinty's chief of staff, is accused of ordering the deletion of the emails.
Police allege that Livingston, in emails, requested information on how to delete emails permanently and ultimately gave Faist access to the computers.
Faist told police he did not have a contract for the work.
His company, however, had been previously employed by the province, completing more than $50,000 worth of contract work, the documents reveal.
Faist is the spouse of former deputy chief of staff Laura Miller.
The ITO contained more than 72 pages of information on the alleged data deletion.
The cancellation of the two gas plants cost the province an estimated $1.1-billion, ruled the province's auditor general. It has been an ongoing controversy for the former McGuinty administration since the cancellations were announced in 2012.
More to come.