12/22/2014 05:08 EST | Updated 02/21/2015 05:59 EST

Mayor on the mend after burning his hand in a dryer fire

Mayor Fred Eisenberger is on the mend after getting second-degree burns on his hand from opening a burning dryer this weekend.

Eisenberger was assessed at the Hamilton General Hospital burn clinic on Monday, spokesperson Amanda Kinnaird said. He’ll be treated every few days now to make sure the burn heals properly.

“They’re hopeful it will heal nicely,” she said. 

Firefighters arrived at Eisenberger’s east-end home shortly after 5 p.m. on Saturday to remove the dryer and deal with “a significant amount of smoke,” said a release from the mayor’s office this weekend.

- RELATED: Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger treated for burns after home fire

The mayor and his family were in the kitchen when they noticed smoke coming from the back window, Kinnaird said. They went downstairs to see issues with the dryer.

Eisenberger opened the dryer to get the clothes out and the fire flared up and burned his hand, she said. The mayor’s wife Diane used a nearby fire extinguisher to fight the flames.

The mayor was treated for smoke inhalation at Hamilton General Hospital, and his hand was bandaged.

"I want to offer my sincere thanks to the Hamilton Fire Department, Paramedics and Hamilton Police Service for their response and good care for us and our home and hospital staff who provided excellent treatment," Eisenberger said in the release.

Eisenberger is reminding everyone of the importance of a fire extinguisher and knowing how to use it.

He’s attending a vigil on Monday for victims of the Pakistan school shooting. He received a lot of support on social media Monday, Kinnaird said.

"People were wishing him well and were glad that he's OK."