01/10/2015 05:12 EST | Updated 03/12/2015 05:59 EDT

Man, 35, arrested after shooting at Saskatoon police during car chase

A 35-year-old man is in custody after evading Saskatoon police in a stolen vehicle and firing shots at officers Saturday afternoon.

It all began when an officer attempted to stop a vehicle on 8th Street and Goodwin Avenue. The male driver and lone occupant of the car refused to stop and began driving erratically, according to a release from Saskatoon police.

The officer immediately stopped the pursuit and notified other officers in the area. The car was spotted by two other patrol cars on the city's east side, but police said they also did not pursue it and informed other officers of the vehicle’s route. 

Police said the suspect was next spotted on the west side of the city. According to witnesses, the man was driving in the opposite lanes on 33rd Street.

The man was also seen pointing a firearm at police and in the later stages of the chase he began firing at the officers in pursuit. Police returned fire. 

The suspect vehicle was stopped after two police vehicles rammed into it at the intersection of 22nd Street and 2nd Avenue.

No one was injured.

Traffic restrictions are in place at four locations, 22nd Street and 2nd Avenue, 25th Street and Idylwyld Drive, 22nd Street and Idylwyld Drive, and 20th Street and Avenue R. 

Joe Weiers sent the following raw video to CBC Saskatchewan:

Witness describes scene

Tara Keshane was driving down 20th Street when she said she saw a red car fly by her.

"Then about 30 cop cars came," Keshane said.

Thomas Dehod was shopping at a store on 2nd Avenue at the time when the red car sped past the store.

"I head a whole bunch of people yell and the guy who was helping me ran to the front of the store," Dehod said. "I went out to the front just in time to see the tail end of the vehicle go by and moments later heard a loud crash."

Dehod said moments later a police cruiser collided with the red car in the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 22nd Street.

"There were several people in the store who said as the car drove past that they heard several gunshots and saw the man holding his arm out the window, pointing a gun into the air and around at different things, at people," Dehod said.

"People were scared, most people were ducking down," Dehod explained. "By the time I got outside, which was about five minutes later, I believe the suspect was still on the ground. There was a large crowd of police officers gathered around what I assume was the suspect and an ambulance had just pulled up. I spoke with one person there on the corner who said police had actually fired a few shots, but I couldn't confirm that."

More to come.