01/14/2015 08:13 EST | Updated 03/16/2015 05:59 EDT

Chris Bishop triple-homicide case in court today

The case of Christopher Bishop, accused of killing three people and wounding two in Cambridge Bay in 2007, will be in court in Iqaluit today.

The Crown and defence may have come to a plea agreement since Bishop is scheduled to appear for sentencing.

- The CBC's Peter Worden will be tweeting live from the courtroom. Scroll down to follow his tweets or follow @wordenCBC.

Earlier this week, Bishop's lawyer James Morton said he "anticipates a resolution" to the case.

Bishop is accused of killing Keith Atatahak and Kevin Komaksiut both of Cambridge Bay, and Dean Costa of Edmonton in Cambridge Bay in 2007. Logan Pigalak and Antoinette Bernhardt, Atatahak's common-law wife, were injured in the same incident.

At his 2010 trial, Bishop’s lawyers argued the killings were done in self-defence, but the jury found Bishop, then 24 years old, guilty on three counts of second-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. Bishop was sentenced to life in prison with eligibility for parole after 16 years.​

In the 2010 trial, the judge hearing the case, Justice John Vertes, called it one of the most tragic incidents in Nunavut history: a night of hard drinking followed by violence and gunshots.

The Crown argued Atatahak, Komaksiut, Costa and Pigalak broke into Bishop's housing unit shortly before 3 a.m. local time.

A firearms expert testified 25 shell casings were found at the crime scene but only a handful were inside Bishop's apartment.

The remaining casings were found outside in the snow. Jurors had heard evidence that Bishop chased the people out of his house, shooting one of the men dead as he was fleeing.

Photos shown to the court indicated one of the three men was killed on the stairs outside Bishop's home while the other two were in the snow farther from the building.

Police found a broken golf club clutched in the hands of one of the deceased, despite assertions that the men who broke into Bishop's house did not have weapons.

The Nunavut Court of Appeal threw out that verdict in 2013 after Bishop's defence lawyer argued the trial judge allowed a witness to wrongly taint Bishop's character while not allowing evidence about the violent nature of some of the deceased.​

A new trial was scheduled to be held in April 2015 but it has been cancelled. 

CBC's Peter Worden will be at the courthouse in Iqaluit. Follow his tweets below or at @wordencbc.