02/01/2015 06:00 EST | Updated 04/03/2015 05:59 EDT

Bad second period costs Vancouver Canucks in 4-2 loss to the Minnesota Wild

VANCOUVER - An ugly two minutes in the second period cost the Vancouver Canucks.

Zach Parise and Jared Spurgeon scored back-to-back goals as the Minnesota Wild topped the Canucks 4-2 on Sunday

After a scoreless first period, the Canucks were on their heels early in the second. Parise's attempted pass found its way through the legs of a stranded Ryan Miller after taking a slight deflection off of Lucas Sbisa's glove at 7:26 of the period.

"He was trying to hit Vanek backside and Sbisa is laid out. To me, it looked like it was getting through so I started my push, it hit Sbisa in the glove and it went five-hole," said Miller, who made 16 saves in the loss. "I had it going under Sbisa and it ended up going under me."

Thomas Vanek and Jason Zucker, into an empty net with 55 seconds left to play, also scored for the Wild (23-20-6). Ronalds Kenins and Daniel Sedin replied for the Canucks (27-18-3).

Minnesota grabbed its second goal, and first on the power play, at 9:26 of the second when Nino Niederreiter drove to the corner before passing back to an open Spurgeon at the point. His shot got through a group of bodies in front of the net for the Wild's second goal.

Vancouver came out stronger in the third period but was down 3-0 midway through the period when Vanek scored his tenth goal of the season.

He took a pass from Mikael Granlund just past centre, drifting to the right and shooting above Miller's blocker.

Kenins' first NHL goal, scored at 12:20 of the third, combined with Sedin scoring his tenth goal of the season just over a minute later, provided a spark for Vancouver but it was too little, too late.

"We played well the last 20 minutes but it doesn't really matter," said Sedin. "When we are down 3-0 it's tough. We have to be stronger when we have those down moments in a game. Right now we are not."

Vancouver had a disallowed goal early in the third period when Alexander Edler's shot from the point was waved off for goalie interference. Radim Vrbata was judged to have impeded Dubnyk's movement across the crease.

"Vrbata is in the crease and I can't get in my crease to where I need to be to make that save," said Dubnyk.

Despite Canucks players arguing about the call, head coach Willie Desjardins refused to blame officiating for the team's performance.

"The refs didn't beat us tonight." said Desjardins. "We had our chances. We have to be better."

The win for the Wild marks only the second time they have completed a sweep of Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver on the same road trip. The first time happened in March 2007.

Wild head coach Mike Yeo paid tribute to Dubnyk, who had his fifth win as a member of the team and stopped 35 shots, for inspiring the team.

"Confidence is one thing and a lot of credit has to go to (Dubnyk). Again the type of game they come out, get two or three chances and allows us to settle into the game and grab that first goal," said Yeo.

Notes: The Canucks have three games left on a six-game homestand including Tuesday against the Winnipeg Jets. ... Minnesota is heading back home to host a three-game homestand, starting Tuesday against the Chicago Blackhawks. ... This is the first time the Wild and Canucks have faced off this year, starting a three-game series. ...Zack Kassian was a healthy scratch for the third time in seven games.