02/06/2015 03:22 EST | Updated 04/08/2015 05:59 EDT

'Dangerous' escaped patients from Ontario in custody in Quebec

Two "dangerous" patients who escaped from a mental health facility in Ontario last month, and were spotted in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, are now in police custody in Quebec after they were injured in a head-on car crash on Wednesday.

Cara Duval and Joseph Pepin will both eventually be transferred back to the North Bay Regional Health Centre's mental health and law program they went missing from on Jan. 22, Sûreté du Québec Sgt. Claude Doiron said in a statement.

North Bay police are currently travelling to Quebec City to pick up Duval, 37, who is being held at the Sûreté du Québec headquarters, said Doiron.

Pepin facing charges

Pepin, 39, will remain in Quebec longer, however, to face a charge of dangerous driving, said Doiron.

Pepin appeared in court in Rimouski on Friday morning and was ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric evaluation at the Louis-Philippe Pinel Institute in Montreal, said Doiron.

The investigation continues and Pepin may face additional charges, he said.

When the court matters have been dealt with, Pepin will also be transferred back to North Bay, he added.

Posed 'significant threat'

Duval, who also goes by the last name Donnelly, and Pepin were reported missing when they failed to return from permitted off-unit privileges.

Police had asked for the public's help in locating them, saying they could pose a "significant threat to public safety."

Mary Lugli, of the North Bay police, told CBC News the pair had been found not criminally responsible for previous actions and were part of a program to be reintegrated into the community, but still required monitoring and supervision.

They were captured by Quebec provincial police after they were injured in the head-on crash Wednesday afternoon in Saint-Simon-de-Rimouski, Que.​

But there had been several previous sightings of them in the Maritimes.

On Jan. 27, they were captured on video surveillance at a gas station in Hanwell, N.B.

On Feb. 1, the pair tried to rent an apartment in Doaktown, N.B.

By Feb. 2, they had moved on to Truro, N.S., where they also tried to rent a room. The following day, they were in Oxford, N.S., police said.