The former UFC middleweight champion tested positive for two steroids in an out-of-competition test last month.
In a statement last week, the UFC said Silva, who has denied cheating, would continue in his role as coach on the reality TV show. But it subsequently changed its mind.
"The Nevada State Athletic Commission, which regulates 'The Ultimate Fighter' series' exhibition fights filmed in Las Vegas, requested that Silva cease participation in the series as a result of his temporary suspension following the recently announced preliminary results of his Jan. 9 pre-fight drug test for UFC 183," the UFC said in a statement Monday.
"The UFC and Globo, the show's Brazilian broadcaster, respect the commission's decision, which will allow Silva to focus his attention on the matter before the commission. Anderson Silva has been an amazing champion and a true ambassador of the sport of mixed martial arts and the UFC will continue to support him as this process unfolds."
Brazilian Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will replace Silva as coach with twin brother Antonio Rogerio Nogueira as assistant coach. Former light-heavyweight champion Mauricio (Shogun) Rua will remain as the other coach.
Filming began Feb. 2 in Las Vegas.
The 39-year-old Silva is suspended pending a Nevada commission meeting.