WINNIPEG - The Manitoba government reported the province's first case of measles of the year Tuesday, but stressed it appeared to be an isolated incident.
The case involved a Winnipeg infant under 12 months old — the age the measles vaccine is typically given — who had recently returned from India.
The child was said to be recovering at home.
"We do believe this was a travel-related case and not a case where they were exposed to the measles virus while in Manitoba, but we're still doing some of the investigation to understand where they were and when," said Dr. Michael Routledge, the province's chief public health officer.
Last year, Manitoba saw its worst outbreak of measles in decades with nine cases which were quickly contained.
Toronto public health officials are reporting several cases of measles, which appear to have been locally transmitted.
Measles can cause a rash, runny nose and cough, as well as more serious complications such as deafness and brain damage.