1. The economy. In a fiscal update in November, the P.E.I. government projected a deficit of $44.7 million for the 2014-15 fiscal year, but was aiming for a surplus in the coming year.
2. An aging population and the need to boost immigration.
3. A need to diversify the economy while boosting exports of key resources, such as the fishery and agriculture.
4. Balancing land use for agriculture with environmental protection. There have been a number of fish kills in recent years as a result of runoff from farm land.
5. The protection of rural communities amid the need to rationalize the delivery of public services, such as education and health care.