Four stories in the news today, March 4, from The Canadian Press:
WANTED: A NEW COMMANDER FOR THE CANADIAN MILITARY
The country's top military commander says he will step down later this year. Gen. Tom Lawson, who has been chief of defence staff for two-and-a-half years, confirmed late Tuesday that he has asked the government not to extend his term in the fall. Lawson, who was appointed the post in 2012, says he will remain on the job until his replacement is chosen.
FUNERAL FOR BOYS KILLED IN HOUSE FIRE
Mourners are to gather this afternoon in the southern Manitoba community of Winkler to remember four boys who died in a house fire last week. Bobby, Timmy, Danny and Henry Froese, who were between nine and 15 years old, died when their rural home burned to the ground.
MALL CLOSED BY POTENTIAL THREATS SET TO RE-OPEN
Halifax police have released two men and a woman who were arrested after a mall in the city closed early Tuesday due to potential threats, although police were not able to confirm if the threat was valid. Police said in a release late Tuesday that the three were not believed they were involved in the matter and were not charged. The Mic Mac Mall said it would be open for business Wednesday morning.
SLEEP TIPS TO PREPARE FOR START OF DAYLIGHT TIME
As Canadians prepare to set their clocks ahead an hour this weekend for the start of daylight time, chronically sleep-deprived people could be hit hard by the change. Dr. Reshma Amin, a sleep physician at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, says if you get five to six hours of sleep regularly as an adult instead of the recommended seven to eight hours, you will suffer a bit more when you have one less hour of sleep.
ALSO COMING IN THE NEWS TODAY ...
— Closing submissions will be heard in the Toronto trial of two men accused of plotting to derail a Via Rail passenger train.
— The Bank of Canada will announces its decision on the overnight rate.
— Media company Torstar Corp. will release fourth-quarter and year-end results prior to the markets opening.