RCMP say the first phase of the investigation began in June 2013, when police executed four search warrants and seized large quantities of fentanyl, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA and oxycodone.
Police also seized two automatic submachine guns with five loaded high capacity magazines, a box of ammunition and more than $600,000 in cash.
The majority of the investigation concluded last year, but police say it took seven more months before the Crown was able to approve charges.
Last Friday police arrested eight people. Warrants have been issued against five others, who are still being sought.
"The investigation is in keeping with the Surrey RCMP's commitment to identifying and conducting enforcement on high risk locations and individuals in the City of Surrey," Insp. Wade Lymburner said in a statement following the announcement.
Police say three people share more than half the charges.
Charged with 36 counts of trafficking and seven firearm-related offences are Sophon Sek of Surrey, Mona Khodabandehloo of Burnaby and Glen Hudson of Surrey.
Among those also charged are:- Andres Naranjo of Surrey — 3 counts of trafficking
- Yaeil Jang of Port Coquitlam — 5 counts of trafficking
- Sonny Nguyen of Surrey — 1 count of trafficking
- Lester Ray of Burnaby — 2 counts of trafficking
- Francis Le of Surrey — 1 count of trafficking
- Dylan Herman of Delta — 2 counts of trafficking
- Harjoot Garg of Surrey — 2 counts of trafficking
- Daniel Cluett of Surrey — 4 counts of trafficking, 1 count of breach of undertaking
RCMP say Jay, Jang, Nguyen, Garg and Naranjo are currently at large. Warrants have been issued for their arrest.