04/09/2015 07:07 EDT | Updated 06/09/2015 05:59 EDT

Matthew Schreindorfer, Laval cancer patient, in full remission

Matthew Schreindorfer says he is in full remission, two months after the story of the Laval newlywed's battle with cancer went viral on social media.

"I have some incredible news to tell everyone…I did my bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday, and my oncologist announced to us yesterday that I am in COMPLETE REMISSION. There is absolutely not one cancer cell left," Schreindorfer posted on Facebook Thursday afternoon.

Schreindorfer and his wife Katia Luciani started the online crowdfunding campaign in February, after being told that the only shot he had at surviving his acute lymphoblastic leukemia would be to participate in a clinical trial that costs nearly a million dollars.

Diagnosed with the aggressive cancer last August — at the age of 24 upon returning from his honeymoon — Schreindorfer's personal story tugged at the heartstrings of people all around the world.

They raised almost $740,000 in about two months.

"You have ALL helped save my life with your encouragements, donations and support, and I will forever be grateful! I will never forget this moment in my life where so many strangers came together to give me a second chance at life! Thank you from the bottom of my heart to my family, friends and saviors out there!"

Schreindorfer's experimental T-cell treatment at New York's Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Center involved modifying his white blood cells in a lab for about 10 days and then re-injecting the cells into his body.

The trial has so far had a 90 per cent success rate.

"I had to hug my doctor, as he has saved my life. What an amazing, compassionate and genius human being, who was a constant reassurance in this turbulent journey. THANK YOU!" Schreindorfer's Facebook post read.

"This CAR-T cell treatment is fantastic and cutting edge and I am so grateful to have been part of this trial. Don't forget, even when you are told there is nothing else to do, never give up! I am living proof!!"

Schreindorfer and Luciani will stay in New York for another two weeks, until his blood count returns to normal, before heading back home to Quebec.