NEWS
05/15/2015 10:46 EDT | Updated 05/15/2016 01:12 EDT

Harper confident in RCMP response to fatal shootings last year in Moncton, N.B.

TRURO, N.S. - Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has confidence in the RCMP's ability to react to recommendations on the shootings in Moncton, N.B., that left three Mounties dead and two injured as the police department faces four labour code violations related to the incident on June 4.Harper wouldn't comment on the allegations on Friday because they are part of a legal process, but Harper said he was briefed by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson on what happened in Moncton and noted that the department asked a retired RCMP assistant commissioner to review its response."The commissioner of the RCMP, commissioner Paulson and his people, have debriefed me from Day One on their analysis of the situation, on what they believe needs to be done going forward," he said after making an announcement in Truro, N.S. "They commissioned a report and they are acting on the recommendations of that report and I have complete confidence in their ability to move forward." The RCMP announced Thursday night that Employment and Social Development Canada alleges there were violations of the labour code relating to the force's equipment, training and supervision.Justin Bourque murdered constables Doug Larche, Fabrice Gevaudan and Dave Ross, and constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen were wounded during a rampage through the city's north end. Bourque, 25, was sentenced to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 75 years in October after pleading guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.The RCMP review of the shootings issued in January said officers responding to the shootings faced a litany of problems that included communicating accurate information, accessing high-powered weaponry and securing protective equipment.Bourque used a semi-automatic rifle to shoot the five officers in the city, and set off a 30-hour manhunt that drew in officers from around the region.Paulson said in a statement Thursday night that the police force is considering the substance of the labour code charges and reviewing what actions it will take."The safety of our employees in doing this dangerous job, protecting the public, is always our priority," he said."As our honour roll sadly confirms, there has always been — and sadly always will continue to be — deadly threats to officers."He says further comment is inappropriate as the matter is before the courts.