NEWS
05/15/2015 10:40 EDT | Updated 05/15/2016 01:12 EDT

Harper confident in RCMP response to fatal shootings last year in Moncton, N.B.

TRURO, N.S. - Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has confidence in the RCMP's ability to react to recommendations on shootings in Moncton, N.B., that left three Mounties dead and two injured as the police department faces four labour code violations related to the incident on June 4.Harper was asked for his reaction today in Truro, N.S., to charges laid against the RCMP in relation to the incident on June 4.He says he cannot comment on the alleged violations because they are part of a legal process.But Harper says he was briefed by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson on what happened in Moncton and he is confident the department will act where it needs to on a report it commissioned by a senior retired RCMP assistant commissioner. The RCMP announced Thursday night that Employment and Social Development Canada alleges there were violations of the labour code relating to the force's equipment, training and supervision.Justin Bourque murdered constables Doug Larche, Fabrice Gevaudan and Dave Ross, and constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen were wounded in the 25-year-old man's rampage through the city's north end.