05/25/2015 03:39 EDT | Updated 05/26/2016 05:59 EDT

1 Cigarette Caused Edmonton Condo Fire

It’s “extremely fortunate” that nobody died, said the fire chief.

My housemate's cigarette. He was out front smoking while I was watering so I took the opportunity to get close.

EDMONTON - A massive condo fire in Edmonton that has left hundreds of people homeless and caused more than $16 million damage all started with one cigarette.

Fire chief Ken Block says investigators blame the fire on “improperly disposed smoking material.”

The fire destroyed most of the four-storey condo complex in east Edmonton on Friday night.

Block says it’s “extremely fortunate” that nobody died.

He calls the fire “devastating” and “completely preventable.”

Residents are being allowed back into the condo complex starting today to look around and seize personal belongings.