Ingredients: 20 grams dried morels, 1 cup water, 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, 4 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, 1 cup chopped onion, 3 diced garlic cloves, 1 cup arborio rice, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 4 tbsp freshly grated parmigiano reggiano (plus some to garnish)
1. Heat broth
2. Rehydrate and chop mushrooms, saving water
3. Heat oil and butter and saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until golden
4. Add mushroom water to heating broth
5. Add rice to saucepan and stir until it is well coated with oil
6. Add wine. Simmer and stir until almost all the liquid evaporates
7. Add the heated broth and mushroom water one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Only add more broth when the previous addition is absorbed, but before the rice sticks to the pan. Continue for 15 to 20 minutes. Risotto is ready when it is creamy and still slightly firm.
8. Turn off heat and whip in cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately
Classic morel cream sauce for meat or pasta
Ingredients: 20 grams dried morels, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup finely diced bacon, 1 cup diced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp white wine, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 3 cups pasta, 1/3 cup water, 2/3 cup heavy cream, 2 tsp flour (optional), 2 tbsp aged cheddar
1. Soak mushrooms in water for 10 to 20 minutes. Give them a pinch. When plump, they are ready. Save water.
2. Sauté bacon first until starting to crisp, then add onions, garlic and butter. Sauté until golden.
3. Remove rehydrated mushrooms from water and chop finely. Add to the pan and sauté until golden.
4. Add wine, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium heat for five minutes, stirring now and again.
5. Add most of the soaking water to the pan, leaving the last bit in the bowl, and simmer on low heat for five to 10 minutes.
6. Cook pasta or grill chicken breasts or steaks.
7. Combine water, cream and flour together. Really whisk it up.
8. Stir flour mixture into sauce. Add cheese. Simmer for five to 10 minutes until desired sauciness is reached. (If you left out the flour, more simmering time will produce your desired sauciness.)
9. Cover pasta or meat with the sauce