EDMONTON - Another 300 people have been forced to leave their homes in northern Saskatchewan due to smoke from forest fires.
Colin King, deputy commissioner with Emergency Management and Fire Safety, says that brings to 1,000 the number of people out of their homes from various communities.
King says about 700 people have registered with his agency and are receiving assistance.
Steve Roberts, executive director of Wildfire Management, says the fire situation was better Tuesday due to weather and fires being contained.
Lac La Ronge Indian Band Chief Tammy Cook-Searson says there are three fires in the area.
Cook-Searson says the fires pose no risk to the communities at this time.
Sikachu Lake, Clam Crossing, Hull Lake, La Ronge, Air Ronge, and many communities in the area have issued voluntary evacuations because of heavy smoke.
Firefighters are focusing their efforts on the Sucker fire in the Nemeiben Lake because it’s “a potential threat to the community of Sucker River,” Cook-Searson said.
The Red Cross has laid out cots in the gym of Saskatchewan Polytechnic’s campus in Prince Albert.
So far, people have been taken to a soccer centre in Saskatoon.