"Scattered thunderstorms will affect portions of the above regions late this morning and this afternoon. It is possible that a few of these storms could produce an isolated tornado," according to Environment Canada.
Toronto is expected to be hit with thunderstorms strong enough to produce strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain. But the following areas are under tornado watch:- York - Durham.
- Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent.
- Waterloo - Wellington.
- Sarnia - Lambton.
- Peterborough - Kawartha Lakes.
- Parry Sound - Muskoka.
- Oxford - Brant.
- London - Middlesex.
- Huron - Perth.
- Halton - Peel.
- Grey - Bruce.
- Dufferin - Innisfil.
- City of Hamilton.
- Barrie - Orillia - Midland.
- Bancroft - Bon Echo Park.
The weather service has several tips to avoid injury during tornados. Those include:- Go indoors to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, such as a basement, bathroom, stairwell or interior closet.
- Leave mobile homes, vehicles, tents, trailers and other temporary or free-standing shelter, and move to a strong building if you can.
- As a last resort, lie in a low spot and protect your head from flying debris.
Environment Canada asked social media users to use the hashtag #ONStorm to report weather-related incidents.