Manager John Gibbons said doctors performed the procedure Tuesday. It will likely end the infielder's time in Toronto as the club is not expected to pick up the 2016 team option on his contract.
"He's been snakebit," Gibbons said before Thursday's home game against the New York Mets. "The guy has had a great career. You look back on what he accomplished out there in Anaheim, that was one of the reasons we brought him over here.
"But since he's been here, he's been beat up and it's too bad. He's a great guy and he would have been very valuable to us but we just couldn't keep him on the field."
Izturis suffered the injury last month while playing for class-A Dunedin on a rehab assignment. He was trying to work his way back into form after suffering a strained groin in March.
The 34-year-old was hurt while diving for a ball and an MRI exam later revealed a tear in the shoulder. Gibbons did not provide more details, but did say he was sure that Izturis was done for the year.
Izturis broke in with the Montreal Expos in 2004 before spending eight seasons with the L.A. Angels. He later signed as a free agent with Toronto and played 107 games in 2013 with a .236 average, five homers and 32 RBIs.
The Venezuelan was limited to just 11 games last year. He underwent surgery after tearing ligaments in his left knee in April 2014.
Izturis hoped to return this season but his injury cleared the way for rookie Devon Travis to win the second base job. In 909 career games, Izturis has a .269 average with 39 homers and 334 RBIs.
The 2016 team option on his US$10-million, three-year contract is worth $3 million. It would cost the Blue Jays $1 million to buy him out.
Follow @GregoryStrongCP on Twitter.