07/10/2015 10:13 EDT | Updated 07/10/2016 05:59 EDT

Winnipeg Blue Bombers hold off Montreal Alouettes for 25-23 victory

WINNIPEG - Defensive back Teague Sherman looked more like a sprinter Friday night.

Sherman scored a touchdown off a blocked punt as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers held on to defeat the Montreal Alouettes 25-23.

Bombers defensive back Lin-J Shell started the play by blocking Alouettes kicker Boris Bede late in the second quarter and Sherman pounced on the ball in the end zone to give Winnipeg a 19-10 halftime lead.

"I won the race," said Sherman, an Edmonton native in his third season with the Bombers. "There was a few of us, but I won the race. I think my speed increased incredibly as soon as I saw the ball out there. I wanted to try to get there first.

"It was awesome. I've got to give full credit to Lin-J Shell. It was all him. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

The University of Manitoba product wasn't the only Bomber in the right place at the right time.

Rookie cornerback Johnny Adams grabbed one of two interceptions thrown by rookie Rakeem Cato, stepping in front of intended receiver S.J. Green and running 40 yards for his major in the second quarter.

He also shared the limelight with the defensive line.

"They pressured (Cato) and I just helped out and did my part on the defence," said Adams.

Bombers quarterback Drew Willy showed no ill effects from taking a helmet-to-helmet hit in last week's loss to Hamilton, a smack that made him miss three quarters of the game.

Willy completed 20-of-29 pass attempts for 251 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran three times for 28 yards.

Lirim Hajrullahu booted four field goals in a contest that left the Alouettes (1-2) trying for a late comeback.

Winnipeg (2-1) held a 22-13 lead going into the fourth quarter, but Montreal running back Tyrell Sutton ran eight yards for his second touchdown of the game 55 seconds in to start closing the gap.

Hajrullahu booted his fourth field goal to make it 25-20, but Cato guided the Als on a six-play, 55-yard drive that ended with Bede's third field goal of the game from 38 yards.

With their team leading 25-23, the 25,605 fans at Investors Group Field got loud and Montreal was facing third down and eight with 1:26 left in the game.

Winnipeg avoided a pass interference penalty and Cato's throw to target Green was tipped away and the ball was turned over at Montreal's 26-yard line.

Green finished with six catches for 180 yards.

"I'm sure my wife and kids are happy, but we want (wins) in here," said Green.

Cato threw two interceptions and finished 22 of 31 for 317 yards with no TDs.

The rookie's CFL debut last week had the league buzzing after he went 20 of 25 with three touchdowns in a 29-11 win over Calgary.

"I think he did well," Green said of Cato. "We had a rough first half as a team. I don't blame the first half on him at all."

But Cato was pointing the finger at himself, vowing to study the play book more and watch more film.

"I had a terrible first half, a bad first half," said Cato. "I tried to come back and do the best I can and bounce back in the second half.

"I thought we played a much better second half, but the first half I played terrible. Gave up two interceptions, one critical touchdown, a pick six. I've just got to do a better job at seeing things."

The Als return home to host Hamilton in Week 4 while the Bombers are on the road against Calgary.