This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Swayze Waters returns to lead Argos to 30-24 home win over Redblacks

TORONTO — Swayze Waters booted two fourth-quarter field goals to earn the Toronto Argonauts a wild 30-24 win over the Ottawa Redblacks on Sunday afternoon.

Waters broke a 24-24 tie with a 34-yard kick at 7:43 that was set up by Matt Black's smart play on Andrew Wilder's 33-yard punt. Black took the short kick in the air, resulting in a no-yards penalty that put Toronto at the Redblacks' 30-yard line.

Waters then hit from 36 yards out with 2:04 remaining. Henry Burris marched Ottawa's offence from its 35 to the Toronto 30-yard line before being sacked on third down with 41 seconds to play.

Waters was in his first contest with Toronto after missing six games with a knee injury. He also contributed big in the punt game, his last three covering 59, 59 and 58 yards, respectively.

Toronto (6-2) survived a frantic fourth to earn its third straight win and move into a tie with Hamilton (6-2) atop the East Division standings. Ottawa (4-4) remains third, two points ahead of Montreal (3-5) after dropping its second straight.

Jeremiah Johnson's two-yard TD run just 18 seconds into the fourth tied the score 17-17 before Jerell Gavins put Ottawa ahead with a 29-yard interception return touchdown just 39 seconds later. That capped a 17-0 stretch for the Redblacks.

But Trevor Harris countered with a 15-yard touchdown pass to Vidal Hazelton — Harris's third of the game — at 4:12 before a sparse Rogers Centre gathering of 14,748 on a glorious summer afternoon with the roof open. It was Toronto's lowest home attendance since 2003.

The Argos wore their white and power blue third uniforms.

Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley scored Toronto's other touchdowns. Waters added the converts along with his three field goals.

Johnson had Ottawa's other touchdown. Chris Milo booted the converts and a field goal.

Harris's 16-yard TD strike to Gurley with 37 seconds remaining in the second quarter staked Toronto to a 17-7 half-time lead, its first advantage at the intermission this season. Gurley's score came after Waters connected from 22 yards out at 8:01 to break a 7-7 tie.

Johnson opened the scoring with a three-yard TD run at 8:38, capping a five-play, 85-yard march. Toronto ended the quarter with Harris's 15-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open Elliott to make it 7-7.

NOTES — Offensive linemen Scott Mitchell and Jarriel King didn't dress for Toronto. Receiver Scott Henry and offensive lineman Matthew Albright were Ottawa's scratches . . . Ottawa offensive co-ordinator Jason Maas began his CFL coaching career with Toronto as a receivers coach before spending the next three seasons as the club's quarterbacks coach. He and Toronto starter Ricky Ray served as teammates with Edmonton.

Dan Ralph, The Canadian Press

Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact