NEWS
08/31/2015 18:48 EDT | Updated 08/31/2016 01:12 EDT

Nova Scotia film industry gives up on pushing government to reverse tax decision

HALIFAX — The group that represents Nova Scotia's film industry says it has given up trying to persuade the province to reverse its decision to scrap a key film tax credit.

Marc Almon, chairman of Screen Nova Scotia, emerged from an emergency meeting with Business Minister Mark Furey to say the industry accepts that a new, $10-million film incentive fund will remain in place even though the industry is shrinking now that the $24-million tax credit is gone.

Last week, Screen Nova Scotia demanded an emergency meeting with Premier Stephen McNeil after two production services companies announced they would be closing their operations in the province.

McNeil rejected the request before he headed to China on Saturday for a trade mission, saying the incentive fund would remain in place and Furey would be meeting with Screen Nova Scotia.

After Monday's meeting, Almon said the talks were productive, but he declined to say what potential solutions the industry group had presented to Furey, who agreed to meet with the group again within the next four weeks.

Furey says it was disappointing to learn the two companies were shutting down, but he insisted there are plenty of competing firms in Nova Scotia and in other provinces that can supply the industry.

 

 

 

 

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: CORRECTS to fix spelling of minister's name in paragraph 2.