In the video above, DIY fashion guru Wendy Liu is back to teach us how to create our very own fringe skirt. You can choose to create the skirt from scratch, as Wendy does in her tutorial, or you can simply add fringe to an existing skirt from your wardrobe. Wendy also shares three ways to style this fun fringe number, taking it from office chic to date-night glam:
Here are the steps Wendy follows for her skirt, as outlined on her blog:
- 1. Cut out a front and back piece by adding an extra 1 inch on all sides of a pencil skirt.
- 2. Cut out a 2.5 inch waistband that fits comfortably around your waist, optional to fortify with a layer of interfacing.
- 3. Sew the front and back pieces together along one side
- 4. Subtract half the waistband length from the width of the front or back piece, this is how much fabric needs to be tucked away into darts.
- 5. Divide that number in half, and tuck away that much fabric in two symmetrical darts on the front and back.
- 6. Sew in the darts by going diagonally towards the folded edge, about 5 inches away from the top of the skirt.
- 7. Attach the waistband to the skirt along the top edge
- 8. Attach the invisible zipper to the open side of the skirt.
- 9. Seal the bottom of the side with the zipper to finish off both sides of the skirt.
- 10, Fold the waistband in half and sew it in place to tuck the raw edges out of sight.
- 11. Cut and hem the bottom of the skirt.
- 12. ADD FRINGE.
Let us know how your fringe skirt turns out in the comments, and be sure to check back every Wednesday for more DIY With Wendy.
Also on HuffPost