This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Intestinal infection tied to San Francisco Bay Area eatery sickens 80; 12 in intensive care

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Public health officials say more than 80 people contracted a bacterial infection after eating at a San Francisco Bay Area restaurant and that 12 of them people have been hospitalized in intensive care.

The Santa Clara County Public Health Department issued a warning to people who ate at Mariscos San Juan on Friday or Saturday. The restaurant had its permit suspended and remained closed as of Sunday.

The department says many of the people sickened over the weekend by the intestinal infection caused by the shigella bacteria have required admission to a hospital. Symptoms include fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County's health officer, says shigella can be spread by people who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. It is treated with antibiotics.

Calls to the restaurant by The Associated Press rang unanswered Tuesday.

___

Information from: KNTV-TV.

The Associated Press

Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact support@huffpost.com.