10/24/2015 19:12 EDT | Updated 10/24/2016 01:12 EDT

Quarterback Henry Burris leads Redblacks to 27-20 victory over Blue Bombers

WINNIPEG — Henry Burris passed for 413 yards and had two total touchdowns, including a one-yard plunge on the ground for the game winner, as the Ottawa Redblacks defeated the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 27-20 on Saturday.

Burris orchestrated an 11-play, 70-yard touchdown drive in the dying moments of the fourth quarter, capped off by his one-yard scamper on a third-and-goal play.

Burris needed eight yards to pass 60,000 for his career heading into the game. The Redblacks QB completed his first pass attempt for 15 yards to join Anthony Calvillo and Damon Allen as the only three to accomplish the feat.

The victory represented the first time the Redblacks (10-6) reached double digits in the win column since 1978. They've also won six of their last eight games.

With only one game remaining, the Bombers' (5-12) playoff chances took a hit with the loss.

At one point midway through the second quarter, there were more turnovers than points in the game.

One particular instance resulted in four turnovers on six plays, two for each team. William Powell's fumble got things rolling, only to be reversed immediately by Matt Nichols' second interception courtesy of Brandyn Thompson.

But Burris gave the ball right back, this time on an interception by Maurice Leggett. Bombers running back Da'Rel Scott them fumbled on a pitch play from Nichols.

Powell made amends for his earlier gaffe, converting from two-yards out to put the Redblacks up 10-0 late in the second quarter.

Winnipeg's offence, with some 51 yards up until the three-minute warning, woke up in a big way.

Nichols found Darvin Adams 36 yards down field for the major. Sergio Castillo missed on the convert attempt, but pounded the ensuing kickoff 79 yards, forcing Ottawa to concede the single.

Winnipeg tied the game 10-10 with 38 seconds remaining in the half on Castillo's 42-yard field goal.

But Ottawa countered through Burris, who launched a 51-yard pass to Chris Williams for a 16-10 lead. Ottawa missed on the two-point convert attempt.

Winnipeg looked the stronger of the two coming out of the break and rattled off 10 points in the third quarter to take a 20-17 lead.

Nick Moore capped off the Bombers' first lead of the night with a seven-yard reception.

The Redblacks tied the game late in the fourth quarter on a Chris Milo field goal from 46 yards out.

Nichols was sacked seven times.

The Bombers are off next week on their final bye week of the season. The Redblacks begin a home-and-home with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to close out the regular season starting next Sunday at Tim Hortons Field.

Scott Billeck, The Canadian Press