CHICAGO — A judge has dismissed the first class-action concussions lawsuit in the nation against a prep sports governing body.
Cook County Judge Leroy Martin on Tuesday threw out the case against the Illinois High School Association.
The lawsuit filed last year on behalf of players sought court supervision over how high schools manage head injuries.
Martin says the IHSA has taken steps to protect student athletes. He also says the remedies sought would change the sport of football "and potentially harm it or cause it to be abandoned."
Plaintiff's attorney Joseph Siprut didn't immediately respond to a phone call seeking comment. He's previously said improving safety should help football survive, not lead to its demise.
IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman says the issue is best handled outside courts.
The Associated Press