Margaret Trudeau could not have looked more proud as her son prepared to become Canada's 23rd prime minister.
Justin Trudeau's mother joined him, wife Sophie and the incoming cabinet ministers shortly before he made his way into Rideau Hall to be sworn in on Wednesday. Margaret was seen embracing her son and walking alongside her family, and had arrived prior to Justin's arrival, with his children Xavier, 8, Ella-Grace, 6, and Hadrien, 19 months.
Prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau holds son Hadrien while hugging his mother Margaret outside Rideau Hall in Ottawa.
Margaret Trudeau and her grandson Hadrien stand oputside Rideau Hall waiting for the swearing-in of her son, Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau.
Margaret, the ex-wife of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau and mother to his sons, Justin, Alexandre and Michel, was captured on election night Oct. 19 in what has the makings of an iconic Canadian photo:
Justin has said his mother and her openness about mental illness has been an inspiration to him. Margaret has been an advocate for mental health awareness, having published a book, Changing My Mind, on her experience of living with bi-polar disorder.
The Liberal government
- Trudeau's Cabinet Filled With Fresh Faces And Achieves Gender Balance
- What A New Canada Looks Like In One Photo
- The Prime Minister's Wife: What Is Her Title, Exactly?
- Margaret Trudeau Joins Son Justin On Swearing-In Day At Rideau Hall
- Maryam Monsef Came To Canada As A Refugee. Now, She's A Cabinet Minister.
- The 15 Female Cabinet Members Appointed By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
- Giggling Inuit Throat Singers Delight At Trudeau Swearing In Ceremony
- Justin Trudeau Sworn In As Prime Minister
Also on HuffPost