NEWS
11/12/2015 13:10 EST | Updated 11/12/2016 00:12 EST

Businesses destroyed as fire ravages Calgary strip mall

CALGARY — Several businesses in a Calgary strip mall have been destroyed in a stubborn blaze in which two firefighters were injured.

A fire spokeswoman says the department got a call this morning from a passerby, who reported flames and smoke coming from the Stadium Shopping Centre in the city's northwest.

Carol Henke says several crews dispatched to the fire thought they had gained the upper hand, but it flared up again around noon.

Businesses destroyed include two restaurants, a seafood market and a pet store, where fire crews rescued several cats.

Two schools were evacuated because of poor air quality, and one of two students complaining of breathing problems was taken to hospital in stable condition.

One of the hurt firefighters is believed to have a broken rib and the other has a dislocated shoulder.

People were advised to avoid the area because of the thick smoke.

EMS spokesman Stuart Brideaux said people with underlying respiratory issues are particularly at risk.

“They can develop symptoms a little faster such as shortness of breath or irritation, or even greater asthma attacks," he said Thursday.

Stadium Shopping Centre is one of the oldest in Calgary. Battalion Chief Al Magwood said the other businesses in the mall should be salvageable.

"Once we've confirmed that the air quality is fine and then based on Atco and Enmax getting the power back to the units, then they should open up again."

(CFFR)