NEWS
11/25/2015 15:07 EST | Updated 11/25/2016 00:12 EST

Ontario won't yet divulge details of refugee settlement plans

TORONTO — The Ontario government isn't saying yet how many refugees the province will receive, when they will arrive or in which communities they will settle.

The federal government announced its plan Tuesday, saying 10,000 Syrian refugees will arrive by the end of the year, landing in Toronto or Montreal.

But Ontario Health Minister Eric Hoskins says the details of where the refugees will go once they arrive in Ontario and where they will be housed on an interim basis are still being worked out.

He has previously said that recently decommissioned hospitals are being looked at as one option and Infrastructure Ontario is looking at other provincial facilities, but the government won't say which ones.

Ontario has committed to bringing in 10,000 refugees by the end of next year.

Quebec released details of its plan Wednesday, saying it will accept 3,650 Syrian refugees by the end of the year, and another 3,650 next year.

The Canadian Press