QUEBEC — The mother of one of the six Quebec victims in the deadly Burkina Faso terrorist attack has called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to keep Canadian fighter planes involved in the war on terrorism the Middle East.
Camille Carrier, the ex-wife of victim Yves Carrier and mother of Maude Carrier, told Quebec City radio station FM93 on Monday she was ashamed by Trudeau's pledge to pull the six CF-18 Hornets from the area.
He has not specified when it will happen.
"I'd like for Justin Trudeau, instead of just condemning with words from his mouth, that with his planes, he fights too," Carrier told the station. "I am ashamed."
Justin Trudeau is being urged to step up Canada's fight against terrorism. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)
The six Quebecers were among those killed in an al-Qaida attack last Friday.
Speaking to reporters in Saint Andrews, N.B., Trudeau showed no signs of going back on the decision to remove the jet fighters.
"Obviously, we condemn these attacks in the strongest way possible," Trudeau told reporters after several hours of meeting with his cabinet. "And we know that the global fight against terrorism is essential and must be conducted in an intelligent, reasonable and enthusiastic way."
Trudeau said Canada must do everything possible to counter the rise of terrorism.
"I'd like for Justin Trudeau, instead of just condemning with words from his mouth, that with his planes, he fights too."
"That's why Canada remains committed to the coalition against terrorists and to working with other countries on a humanitarian basis and in order to help refugees but also to show military commitment," he said.
Camille Carrier said her daughter Maude was married and the mother of two children, aged 3 and 5, who were eagerly awaiting her return.
Four of the dead were from the same family: Yves Carrier, his wife Gladys Chamberland, their adult son Charlelie Carrier and Yves' adult daughter, Maude.
The others who died were their friends, Louis Chabot and Suzanne Bernier. Each had three children.
Camille Carrier was also critical of the way the family found out that all four members had died.
She said her son, after getting little information, called Ouagadougou and received confirmation of the deaths from a nun who had been working with the Quebecers.
A Quebec provincial police officer arrived later in the day to confirm the deaths on behalf of the Global Affairs Department, she said.
Also on HuffPost